Discord invite link: https://discord.gg/FwKugFzhDw
This course will have a Discord server for text based interaction. It is completely optional to join. With very niche interests it can be really nourishing to connect with folks who share them. Let’s see what happens. As mentioned, I’ll have a channel where I’m going to answer any questions that get put out (questions-4-susy). If you don’t join the Discord, you can of course ask your question in the weekly meeting.
The server will stay up throughout the course and one week after (if anyone wants to continue staying in touch this way, there will be an option to have a new ongoing server to join). Participation is limited to course participants only, but as with all online exchange one should always be circumspect about what one shares.
Please feel free to exchange as you like, but its very helpful in dharma contexts to always receive any words as offerings, to avoid critiquing, and to speak from one’s own personal experience. If you are looking for direct feedback to a question, please use the channel I’ve set up specifically for that (questions-4-everyone)
IF YOU ARE NEW TO DISCORD SERVERS: Discord is one free option for small group text exchange (Slack is another), and it has its advantages and disadvantages (all forums/chat spaces do!). You do have to sign up for an account with Discord, which is free. It does look a little video-gamey, but it is functional and free and easy to organize discussion. If you are new to using something like this here is more information on joining the discord:
To join the course discord server:
- Click on the invitation link: https://discord.gg/FwKugFzhDw
- If you don’t have a discord account you’ll be prompted to create one. You can use the nickname of your choice (no need to use full name – you may choose to introduce yourself within our group server itself by your first name.
- If you already have a discord account this server (icon of two white faces in profile / black vase) will appear on your list of servers.
- Once you have joined the invitation link will no longer work. Go to https://discord.com in your web browser to return to the discussion. You will see an icon for our server on the upper left (OWiC) which takes you back to the discussion.
- You may be prompted to download the Discord App – this is not necessary. You can instead visit https://discord.com and this server will be available (again, an icon with the course initials “OWiC” will take you to the discussion.